Sunday, September 16, 2007

Peter Rollins: How (not) to Speak of God

I am getting a little schizo with my reading, I have almost finished Spong (though have yet to blog many thoughts and comments) and have now started "How (not) to Speak of God" by Peter Rollins

I am impressed by what little I have read. But, I already have one question/comment: Rollins closes his introduction saying: "I recently heard a well-known speaker say that if faith does not cost us something, then it is nothing. Only much later could I respond: if faith does not cost us everything, it is nothing. Orthodoxy as right belief will cost us little...but orthodoxy, as believing in the right way, as brining love to the wolrld around us and withus us...that will cost us everything. For to live by that sword, as we all know, is to die by it."

Comment: I guess I am feeling a little reactive against the martyrdom language. While I am far from a hedonist, the view of faith that I would like to reacquire is one that maintains that faith is a good thing. Why must it be costly? (Bonhoeffer is rolling over in his grave.) Why not consider it beneficial (adding joy, knowledge, love, and a generous spirit to the universe)? I presume Rollins is really trying to say that to live out believing in the right way is not easy and very countercultural. Yes, you may not be able to enjoy cheap clothes made in a sweatshop and kill off the people in other countries in the world who has what you want in the name of defeating terrorism. You may even move out of the burbs and into a mixed ratial community- but is that a loss? But even so, I do not view shifting away from egocentric and materialistic ways of life as losing anything. That too me is a good thing. Why must religion present itself with such a martyr image. (Beating on chest with pride).."Look! I am a good person, see how much I have given up and how miserable I have made myself in the name of Christ."

I suppose I should give Rollins more time to develop his argument And don't get me wrong I have seen much more that I think is right on the money than that which has made me shudder.

Comments?

No comments: